Friday, July 2, 2010

That Four letter Word and Why it is Needed in the Workplace

So yesterday, I met the President and First Lady of the Joy FM. I went into the office at 10 o'clock and one hour later I began to help get things ready for the lunch meeting at noon. After everything was prepared we waited for the President to arrive, and when he showed up and everyone ate to their stomachs content, the meeting began. The President's name is Jim Campbell and he showed years of experience and wisdom on his face and he illuminated that as he began the meeting. This is another person, though I only met him for a moment, who showed that he had a heart and spirit that belonged to God.
After listening to him for a while, I began to admire and respect him like I admire and respect  the people at the Joy FM. However, this respect was a bit different. I have known many people who become President of a club (in college)  or get elevated to a high position and you know what they do? They wreck havoc, they let titles and positions get to their head and abuse that. I mean it is everywhere, in businesses,  and unfortunately in some churches. However, Mr. Campbell, knowing that he has the position, doesn't use his title to strike fear in his employees. He comes, he has lunch with them, and he is straightforward.  Sitting in the meeting I listened to a majority of what was said, and at the same time, observed everyone in the room. Mr. Campbell explained to everyone that The Joy FM is doing really well ,and that  he just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that; and he also emphasized that everyone in the room was vital to the success of the Joy FM. He also emphasized that, though the Joy FM is doing well, one must never forget the purpose, the reason, THE GOAL, of the station. He was trying to make sure everyone knew why they were doing what they did, he wanted people to know the reason they got up in the morning and drove to the station and spoke into the microphone, or sat at the computer, or answered the phones.  What was the reason?
  A lot of businesses become success driven in a sense that they only focus on ratings, and money, and their paycheck.  However, if you focus on the purpose and reason, all the technical stuff and financial stuff  will  fall into place.  What do I feel is the purpose of The Joy FM? I feel that the purpose of the Joy FM is to teach and minister to people about Jesus and accept Him. It is to give hope to people who know Jesus but their faith is going because they are going through something called a Plan B situation. The Joy FM is  the voice of encouragement, the outlet through which one could celebrate and morn with. It isn't just a radio station, but a community, an extended family that is always there to build up and continually strengthen people. From my little time here, that is what I realize The Joy FM provides. As Luisa and I were speaking after the meeting, one thing that ensures success anywhere is love. Love in the home, Love in the street and Love in the workplace. I am grateful for that love because I am being shown love that I can pass on to people.  We are all human and we have our annoyances but that doesn't mean love is lost.  Sitting in on the meeting yesterday got me thinking a lot, but if I had to sum up what I learned I would say that it would be... in the workplace working together really means working together and not confined to the titles that people carry.  AND when it comes to a business environment Let Love and Let God.  :-)  Tomorrow I will blog about Freedom Fest...but let me leave you with this:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. ....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.  I Corinthians 13; 4-6 & 13

No comments:

Post a Comment