Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Not So Happy Wednesday

Death. Something that the young ignore and the old prepare for, even though we all know, no matter what age we are, Death strikes at any moment and any time. I don't mean to seem so morbid, gloomy or downright depressed, but it just seemed like yesterday there was a wake-up call. Two deaths happened recently that has brought to light this topic.  One death was in the Joy Fm family. His name was Ben and he collapsed playing Tennis, that evening he was gone. He was in his fifties and not only was he a husband and father, but he was a grandfather, a coworker, a friend and a teacher of the Word of God. Even though everyone knows he has gone to be with Jesus, it is still a shock as to how sudden and unexpected his death was. I mean how many times has he played tennis? What plans did he have after playing tennis, but never got to full fill it? Did he plan to watch a movie with his grandson? a date with his wife? Or even just a quiet evening at home by the pool? I never knew him or even met him, but sitting in the conference room with the whole Joy FM staff, I was blessed enough to get to know a piece of him. Through the stories, the laughs, the tears and everything in between, I was able to feel the legacy he left behind, the love that he has shown to the ones around him, and it was wonderful.
The other death was of a baby. I am not sure how long she was able to experience the world, a few mins? seconds? not at all? but I can't imagine the pain the mother is feeling right now. Especially since that baby was going to be the last piece of her husband that she had left. Her husband was an officer killed in the line of duty two weeks ago.
So what did I gather from this? SERIOUSLY, Death knows no age. Kids die before parents, younger siblings before older siblings, I mean it happens.  I mean my sister sees death everyday, she is a social worker with the elderly and she actually has seen the dying process. Yesterday, after telling me about her day, she explained to me that there are actually not only different stages of dying, but she has seen different kinds of ways people "move on". It is scary, but it is natural. Yesterday, was emotionally draining for me, which is a downside of being a feeler. I pray for both families mentioned, and have really gotten an eye opener. I am not ever going to take life for granted. I mean I feel many people do. We are stuck in this disk skipping routine in which  get up every morning and go to bed each night, somehow "knowing" that we are going to see the sunrise again. We step out each morning with just a wave instead of hugging the person we love and squeezing them tight, thinking that we are going to see them that afternoon.......

*Mend all wrongs, Love Hard, Dance in the Rain....Live Laugh Love..*

No comments:

Post a Comment