Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Freedom Fest 2010!

Well Independence day came early this Friday with Freedom Fest.  It was a wonderful time and a great experience. I had to be at the station by 1:45pm to leave with Mary by 2pm.  When I arrived at the station I got a call from Mary, asking me to get directions to the Park in Pinellas Park, FL that we were going to. We had packed the van the previous day and let me just say that WOW to pack and unpack a van the way she does year after year, for every event in the grueling sun, Mary is Superwoman!

After I got the directions, Mary arrived at the station and we left.  The ride seemed very short, because Mary is always great company. She is so easy to talk to and to be honest I look at her with a lot of respect. Whether she knows it or not, she has helped me with many difficult questions that I have been facing and it has made my life at this internship very enjoyable.

Before I get ahead of myself, let me explain exactly what Freedom Fest is. Freedom Fest can be described as a huge carnival/BBQ/ Concert/ Christian Fellowship.  This year two great bands were the main event; New World Son And Among the Thirsty.  The bands were great and to be honest I think this concert turned into just an outdoor church service which was so awesome.

 After the car ride, we got to the park and started unloading the van. We had numerous hands too help us because of continuous volunteers like Dave and Melissa, who attend a majority of the Joy FM events. In all set up took about 45 mins.  After we set everything up , it was as if the tables we set up had a magnet because once people saw the logo of  The Joy FM they started gravitating toward us. Once the people came, I started greeting them and having fun, before this ,however, Mary and I went to a picnic table and ate our lunch/dinner.
   I love greeting people and meeting them and hearing their stories. Another thing that I thought was really fulfilling is going around and promoting thejoyfm by handing out fans to everyone.These fans came in handy with the humidity (even though Mr. Sun was no where to be found).  The fans had the Joy Fm Logo on it and lets just say as soon as I started handing them out ,they went like hotcakes at free all you can eat breakfast. WHen everything was over, we packed up and left the venue.  I can not explain how fullfilling Freedom Fest was and how much fun I had. 

We reached the station a little after 11pm and I reached home a little after midnight. I rested up and had a great fourth of July weekend.  For the rest of the week, I am hanging out with Kris, AKA Krispy Kreme.  He is the producer of the Morning Show and on air talent on Saturdays.  For now, I must say Adios!




No comments:

Post a Comment