Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Days w/ Jeff

The above should actually be day with Jeff. So Monday was Memorial Day so that ment no work/internship so I was hppy to get that rest. Tuesday however was suppose to be my first day w/ Jeff McFarlene who is the stations General Manager. My schedule was that I was suppose to hang around Jeff McFarlene for two days, but the two days ended up being cut down to one day. When I went into the office on Tuesday, things seemed to be going haywire which taught me the lesson that things don't always go snmoothly in a radio station. My computer motherboard shut down completely and the IT gys had to come in and replace it. While I was waiting for Jeff to summon me, I realized that his door was closed. Why was his door closed you ask...a big mess happened over the long weekend which is kept confidential, and he had to resolve it. SO what did I do with my time? I helped out around the office and got really cozy with the shredder. I can tell right now that the business aspect of the radio production job is not for me.
Today, things went smoother and I got to hang out with Jeff!  We talked about my past,present and future and I must say that I enjoyed speaking with him. After a while it was his turn to talk and my turn to ask questions about his job and what he does. As a station manager he gets the say of what music will play n his station and what will get passed. He knows that he can't say yes to all the music and so he is kind of a filter. He deals with the financial aspects as well as help things move along in the workplace. One thing that I totally respect Jeff for is that although he is the manager, and the boss, he treats everyone like his equal. He lets everyone knows how important they are to the station and how much he needs them. I asked him if his life was stressful and he said that their are those days that he has a lot of anxiety but for the most part he doesn't have stress because everyone is doing their job and doing their job well. In his words, "Everyone is in the right position in the right place."  The only thing he struggles with is being an introvert in a very public business.  Jeff is a great guy and someone who, though is soft spoken, has a lot of love to give out.  Tomorrow I am with the IT department sooooo we will see how that goes. 6/1-6/2

No comments:

Post a Comment